The Internet is a great way to share information, but also to spread lies and mischievous nonsense. When you get an unsolicited email, these warning signs, from urbanlegends.about.com, should ring alarm bells:
- The text was not originally written by the person who sent it to you.
- Phrases such as "This is NOT a hoax..."
- ...Or "Forward this to everyone you know."
- Overly emphatic language or heavy use of CAPITALS and exclamation marks!!!!!!!!
- Language that seems more geared to persuade than to inform.
- Claims to offer important information you've not heard before from legitimate sources.
- Subtle jokes that might suggest leg pulling.
- No reference to outside sources nor links to websites with corroborating information.
- Replies with "Re:" in the subject title from people you haven't written to.