- Put your work in order and allow time to decompress before taking off.
- Review your vacation goals. What do you really want -- time in the backyard to read a book or an exotic getaway?
- Be flexible. You may have a mental image about how your time off should go, but chance will intervene. Consider vacations a little more like "adventures."
- Leave your work at work. Resist calls and emails. Your job is to relax and have fun.
- Plan re-entry. Give yourself a transition day before returning to the job.
Read more on Travel and Holiday