No need to get rid of her, says allergist Clifford Bassett, MD. Take steps to ease symptoms:
- Ban pets from your bedroom, and get an air purifier.
- No pet is completely hypoallergenic, but those that shed more trigger more symptoms, says Shirlee Kalstone, author of Allergic to Pets?.
- Vacuum and dust often to eliminate sneeze-inducing dander and fur.
- Bathe and brush your pet often, especially if he sheds. If your symptoms are sever, have someone else do it for you.
- Getting a new cat? Consider a light-coloured female. One study found that dark male cats create more allergic reactions.
Read more on Pets